Connect your Helix Fi gateway and MTA modem (asynchronous transfer mode) to your splitter. Next, connect the modem’s telephone cable to jack #1 on your phone.
You can set up your Home Phone service (whether it’s a new service, a transfer or an addition), at the same time as your Helix Internet and TV services.
Assisted installation: get assistance from a Videotron technician
The technician will help you determine how many Videotron coaxial outlets you need in your home to ensure the configuration is right for you. For more information on the technician’s visit: How to install my services.
Note that the phone connection described here is for the simplest scenario, when customers don’t have an alarm system or any other system linked to the phone line.
You’ll need the following equipment:
- Telephone modem
- Helix Fi gateway to access the Internet and connect your devices
- Helix TV terminal for the Helix TV service, if applicable
Prior to installation: how to get ready
Download the following manuals and take the time to read the instructions beforehand to make the installation go more smoothly.
We recommend that you read the installation procedure, even if a technician is assisting you. This will make the installation go faster.
What to read?
For your telephone modem
For your Helix equipment
- Diagram for using a splitter with the Helix Fi gateway
- Helix Fi Gateway User Manual
- Helix TV terminal installation manual
- Voice remote installation guide
If you don’t have a data plan for your mobile, read these instructions before you uninstall your old Internet modem and other equipment such as the Wi-Fi router and TV terminal.
Do you need a splitter to connect your devices to your coaxial outlet?
- Yes, because you are keeping or adding the Home Phone service
- Yes, because you only have one coaxial outlet.
Unplug your Wi-Fi router, illico TV terminal and Wi-Fi amplifier.
Before you start installing the Helix Fi gateway, unplug the following equipment, if you have it: Wi-Fi router, illico TV terminal and Wi-Fi amplifier.
If a security socket is preventing you from disconnecting your equipment, use the security socket remover provided with your new equipment or by our technician.
Installation: here’s how to set up your IP phone terminal yourself
- Use the splitter provided by the technician to connect your devices to the coaxial outlet. Using a coaxial cable, connect the splitter’s INPUT to the wall outlet. Make sure the cable is firmly screwed into the wall outlet and the splitter.
- Connect your Helix Fi gateway and your MTA phone modem to the splitter using two more coaxial cables.
Diagram for using a splitter with the Helix Fi gateway
- Using the phone cable, connect your phone or wireless phone base to phone jack #1. It’s on the far left of your MTA modem.
Do not plug your phone into the Helix Fi gateway, even if you see a compatible outlet. You cannot connect to Videotron’s Home Phone service through the Helix Fi gateway.
- To reboot the modem, unplug the power cable for 10 seconds.
Good job! You have installed your IP telephone terminal.
Next, install your Helix Fi gateway by following these instructions: Helix Fi Gateway Installation.
If you’re also subscribed to Helix TV, install your Helix TV terminal following these instructions: Helix TV Terminal Installation.