With the Helix TV app, included in all Helix TV and Helix TV App plans, you just have to be connected to an Internet network to transform your mobile device into a personal TV screen.
The app enables you to watch:
- View your entire content and channel lineup
- Watch content that has been recorded (or is being recorded) on your Helix TV terminal
- Watch yout live TV channels
- Access various on-demand content
- Download your On Demand content and your recordings to watch offline.
- Use your tablet or smartphone to stream your content on your TV with Chromecast technology or other compatible streaming devices that will soon be added. See how to stream with Chromecast.
Do you want to take advantage of these awesome features? Just use the Helix TV app:
- On an iOS or Android mobile device. You can download the app through the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.
- On your computer, with the Helix Web app.
Important: Streaming live TV and downloading content uses mobile data when you’re not connected to a Wi-Fi network. Also, live and paid content can only be viewed in Canada.
Good to know
When you watch Helix movies and series online, are you told that Google will no longer support Flash? No worries, you can still watch your content. Simply enable Flash in your Chrome 76 browser (or any more recent version).
Follow the instructions on the Google Chrome Help page.
Getting started with the Helix TV app
- Open the Helix TV app on a device connected to the Internet. Follow the instructions on your screen to sign in.
- Browse the TV Listings to see what live content is available. Click on Live TV, then select the type of content you're interested in.
- To narrow down your search, use the filters on the right-hand side of the screen, like TV GO, HD Channels, Closed Captioning (CC), Secondary Audio Programming, or Video Description.
- Select a program to view it or learn more about it.
You can view live content, watch shows that you've recorded on your Helix terminal or access free or paid on-demand content. You’ll find the steps for each below.
- Connect your device to the Internet (Wi-Fi network, cellular data network or local network).
- Open the Helix TV app on your mobile device.
- Go to the main menu. On the mobile app, swipe right. Tap All Channels under Live TV. It's the first option in the menu.
- Tap a channel's logo to live stream it. You can also tap on a show that's currently playing, then Watch to watch it or Info for more information. Both options are at the bottom of the page.
Some programs can only be watched at home. If that’s the case, you’ll see a notification in the info page.
Watching your recordings
Note that the Recording feature is included in all Helix TV plans and offered as an option in all Helix TV App plans.
- Connect your device to the Internet (Wi-Fi network, cellular data network or home network).
- In the Helix TV app, tap Recordings. You’ll see your scheduled recordings, as well as those that are completed or in progress.
The Recordings option enables you to watch your recordings anywhere in your home. Recordings can be displayed as a list or a picture gallery, as you prefer.
Go to Scheduled to browse and manage your scheduled recordings.
- To view a program that was recorded to your Helix terminal (cloud-based), tap the recording, then Watch.
Downloading your recordings
You can also download your recordings directly to your mobile device to watch them offline.
- In Recordings, select a recording (if it's a series, you’ll have to choose an episode).
- Tap Download.
- Confirm the download.
- When the download is complete, you’ll be able to watch the recording without using data.
Important: You can't download recordings when using the Web app.
Checking in content
Content that has been downloaded to a device will not be available on your terminal or on other devices synced to your Helix system. You’ll have to check in the content by following these steps:
- Tap Downloads in the main menu.
- Tap the download you want to check in.
- Tap Return to return your device's content and Continue.
- Once checked in, the content will once again be available on the other devices.
On-demand programs (free and paid)
Note: To access certain on-demand programs, you must be connected to your home network. If the program you want to watch isn't available off your network, the Watch button will be grayed out.
- Connect your device to the Internet (Wi-Fi, cellular or home network).
- In the Helix TV app, the On Demand menu will display the shows and movies that you can view at home and the TV GO content that you can view outside your home.
- You can browse the content by type (shows, movies, channels, kids’ content) or filter it if needed (TV GO, HD Channels, Closed Captioning, Secondary Audio Program, Video Description).
- Once you've made your choice, tap the show or movie, and then Watch or Episodes.
Here are some more interesting features:
- Would you like to know when a show will be broadcast on live TV? Tap the Upcoming tab to see the schedule.
- To access your on-demand purchases remotely, tap Helix TV Purchases in the Saved tab.
Configuring Parental Control
With the Helix TV app, you can access Parental Control settings to manage the content that various devices can access.
To enable it:
- Tap the icon at the bottom of the main menu.
- Tap Parental Control.
- Enable it and create a PIN.
- You can then configure various restrictions in the same menu. To disable this option, you’ll have to re-enter your PIN. You can quickly reset all locked content by tapping Reset at the bottom of the menu.
Get the most out of your Helix mobile experience
With the Helix TV app, you can connect to the Internet anywhere in the country and view over 200 live TV channels, 40,000 on-demand programs, and any completed recordings on your terminal.
That's an impressive amount of content! There are two options to make searching easy:
- Just filter all the available content with the Filter bar. Tap the TV GO option to make it easier to search for content that's available anywhere or the Available for Download option to see shows and movies that you can download and watch offline.
- If you're looking for something specific, just start typing a show or movie title, the name of a sports team or the name of a channel. The app will start searching for it automatically and narrow down the results as you type.
Depending on the type of content you're browsing through, you may get the option to learn more about your selection. For series, program details include Info, Episodes, Upcoming episodes and what People Also Watched. For movies, program details include Info, Upcoming content and what People Also Watched. For sports teams, your options will be Info about the team, Games and Replays.
The Helix TV app is a crucial part of your Helix experience. With the app, you can access all the great features and content offered by Helix at home, at the office, in public transit or at the cottage.