What is Chromecast?
With Chromecast, you can cast your favourite shows from your mobile device to any HDTV in your home.
Chromecast is a Google device designed to stream content from a smartphone or tablet on a larger screen. All types of content on the Helix TV app can be streamed via Chromecast: live broadcasts, on-demand content, recordings, etc. So you can enjoy Helix, even on TVs that are not connected to a Helix TV terminal.
This feature is available to all customers with a Helix TV plan, or a Helix TV App plan.
Most content can be streamed with Chromecast, but not all.
Required equipment to use Chromecast
To use Chromecast, you need the following:
- A second or third-generation Chromecast device, or a Chromecast Ultra, or a Chromecast with Google TV.
- A TV or monitor with an HDMI port, a smart TV with built-in Chromecast (such as Vizio, Sharp, Sony, Toshiba, Philips, Skyworth, or Hisense), or a Chromecast-compatible smart screen (such as Google Nest Hub or Google Nest Hub Max).
- A smartphone or tablet with the Helix TV app and Google Home app.
Chromecast works with iOS and Android devices.
Connecting my Chromecast
To use a Chromecast device, you must plug it into the TV you want to stream content to.
- Plug the Chromecast into a free HDMI port on your TV.
- Connect the USB power cable to your Chromecast.
- Connect the other end of the power cable to another free USB port on your TV, or to a power outlet using the AC adapter.
Configuring my Chromecast
After plugging in the Chromecast device, turn on your TV. The Chromecast home screen will appear. If it does not, press the TV Input or Source button on your remote control to change source until the screen appears. A Chromecast device number will be displayed.
- Open the Google Home app on your smartphone or tablet and follow the instructions on screen. Make sure Bluetooth is enabled.
- The app will start searching for devices. Select the Chromecast device with the number from the home screen.
- Select your Wi-Fi network. Be sure to connect your Chromecast to the same network as your smartphone or tablet.
When setup is complete, you will see a background image, the time, and the name of your device.
Casting content with Helix TV app
- Open the Helix TV app on your smartphone or tablet.
Note for Apple devices: If the following message appears on your screen, press OK.
- Click the Chromecast button at the top right corner of any page.
- Choose the screen or TV you want to stream content on. If the Chromecast and Helix TV app are properly paired, the Chromecast icon will turn white.
- Play the content you want in the Helix TV app. The content will be streamed on-screen simultaneously via Chromecast. You can control playback and volume using your mobile device as a remote control.
- To disconnect Chromecast, simply press the icon again.
Stream content from a computer to a television
- Log in to Helix Web on your computer using Google Chrome.
- At the top right in the browser menu, click More > Caster.
- Then select the Chromecast-connected TV you want to play the content on.
Stream content out of home
You can also stream some of your content elsewhere than at home if a Chromecast device is already installed, such as at a friend’s or family member’s home. You will only be able to stream content from the Helix Go channels and Club illico, as well as your recordings.
Good to know
What if I have stream issues with Chromecast?
If you do not see the Chromecast icon at the top right of the Helix TV or illico app, or if you are having broadcast problems, try these solutions:
- Make sure your smartphone or tablet is no more than 4 to 6 meters away from the Chromecast.
- Check the Chromecast LED: if it’s white, it’s on. More information on the LED.
- Check your Internet connection. Your mobile device and Chromecast must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Restart the Chromecast by removing the power cable from the device for 30 seconds.
- Restart the Helix Fi gateway or your router then try to broadcast content again.
- If you are using an Android device running Android Marshmallow, make sure “Location Services” is enabled.
- If you are using an iPhone or iPad, make sure Bluetooth is enabled.
If you still do not see the icon, follow this troubleshooting procedure:
- Close the Google Home app and then open it again.
- If the problem persists, turn your Wi-Fi off and on again. Re-open the Google Home app.
- If it still does not work, try setting up Chromecast with another smartphone or tablet.
As a last resort, you can factory reset the Chromecast device.
Good to know
Are you a Club illico mobile subscriber? Use the Club illico app to access your content.