What is AirPlay?
The AirPlay feature allows you to stream Helix TV app content from an Apple device (iPhone or iPad) to another compatible device such as Apple TV or a smart TV. You can stream live channels, on-demand content, and recordings. Please note, however, that Download to go content cannot be streamed via AirPlay.
- AirPlay is not available on Android devices or via the Helix TV Web platform.
- You cannot use the Screen Copy function with the Helix TV app.
Equipment required to use AirPlay
To use AirPlay with Helix, you need the following:
- iPhone or iPad running iOS or iPadOS 13 or later
- Helix TV app, version 7.7 or later
- A destination device compatible with AirPlay. For example:
- Apple TV
- Mac computer
- Smart TV or AirPlay-enabled TV
- Compatible speakers, sound bar, or audio receiver
Stream with the Helix TV app
- Make sure your mobile device and the destination device are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- On your mobile device, select content from the Helix TV app.
- Start playback.
- Tap the AirPlay icon in the upper right corner.
- Select the device the content will be streamed on. When pairing is enabled, a blue AirPlay icon appears in the upper left corner.
- During playback, you can use the Helix TV app controls or the destination device remote control.
- To stop streaming, tap the blue or white AirPlay icon and select your mobile device.
Good to know
AirPlay can also be used to stream audio content, such as Stingray Music channels, to compatible speakers or sound bar. You can even stream to multiple devices simultaneously, provided they support AirPlay 2 version.
What do I do if I have streaming issues with AirPlay?
If you don’t see the AirPlay icon in the top right corner or are unable to stream content, try the following:
- Update your mobile device and Helix TV app, if applicable
- Check to make sure the source and destination device are connected to the same Wi-Fi network
- Restart your Helix Fi gateway
If AirPlay still doesn’t work, refer to the Apple troubleshooting section.
Yes. Helix TV app content is streamed via AirPlay over your Wi-Fi network, which uses Internet data.
If you have Helix Internet, your plan is unlimited and you don’t have to worry about data consumption.
If you have a Hybrid Fibre Internet plan, you can track your data use in your Customer Centre.