How to track your data usage and increase your data capacity
To never run out of mobile data when it matters most and avoid additional charges, see how to better manage your mobile data usage.
Good to know: Any data you use is generally processed within a few minutes. However, if you are roaming, the processing time can take up to several weeks, depending on the country visited.
In the User Centre + app
- Access the User Centre + app, which you can download on Google Play or the App Store.
- Log in using your Customer Centre credentials.
- Tap the Mobile tab, and select the correct number, if required.
- View the data usage graph for the current month.
- To view usage details, tap Data, Voice, or SMS/MMS Messaging under the graph.
- To view usage in the previous period, tap the arrow to the left of Current Period.
In the Customer Centre
- Log in to your Customer Centre.
- Select the tab View your Mobile use.
“Adjusting” capacity: If you change your plan during a current service month, the available capacity will vary depending on the number of days remaining in the month. The total capacity will be available the following month. Learn more about the billing cycle.
How do I set a warning or blockage?
Set a warning or blockage when said limit is reached or close to being reached.
Note: Depending on your device’s model, the procedure may vary slightly.
- Go to Settings and select Connections, then Data Usage.
- Tap Billing cycle and data warning.
- Turn on Set data warning and/or Limit mobile data usage features.
- Choose the desired usage cap and enable an overage notification if you wish.
- Select Start billing cycle on and set the reset date for the usage cycle to the date of your billing cycle.
- Go to Settings and tap Network & internet.
- Select SIMs, then Videotron.
- Tap Data warning & limit.
- To change the billing day, select Cellular data usage cycle, enter the desired day and tap Set.
- To set up an overage notification, turn on Set data warningoption, select Data warning, then enter the desired number and select MB or GB. Tap Set.
- To set up a data cap, enable the Set data limit option and select Data limit. Enter the desired number and select MB or GB, then tap Set.
- Go to Settings and select Network and Internet or Connections.
- Select Mobile Network or Data Usage.
- Select Warning and Data Limit or Billing Cycle.
- Choose the desired usage limit and enable an overage notification.
- Set the reset date for the usage cycle to the date of your billing cycle.
Currently, iPhones do not have a feature where you can set up an alert or automatically block data on your device. We recommend that you regularly track how much data you’re using and manually turn data on or off.
How to avoid data overage
Here are many ways to help you monitor your mobile data usage and let you know if you’ve reached the limit on overage charges.
If you find yourself exceeding your plan’s mobile data on a regular basis, your Mobile plan might not be right for you. You can switch to a different one that better suits your needs or purchase a Data Add-on.
Choose a Wi-Fi connection when available
Enable automatic Wi-Fi connection when you’re at home and, when you’re on the go, check for an available Wi-Fi connection through your device settings.
Download any shows or movies you want to watch before you leave, while having access to your home’s Wi-Fi. They will be stored directly on your device, and watching them will not consume any mobile data.
See how to download your recordings with Helix TV app.
Reduce background data usage
Take the time to check your settings to determine which applications are automatically refreshed and deactivate the ones you use less often to gain valuable megabytes.
Disable the automatic video playback feature
Set a warning or blockage
Set a warning or blockage when said limit is reached. This feature is only available on Android devices. See how to do it.
Track my usage and get additional data capacity
View and manage your mobile data usage through your Customer Centre.
Receiving text notifications
To make sure you receive notifications, log in to the Customer Centre, select Manage your communication preferences in the Account & Billing section, and make sure the boxes in the Notifications about your services section are checked.
You’ll receive up to three types of notifications by text:
- A first notification tells you that you’re about to reach your plan’s data limit.
- A second notification tells you that you’ve reached your limit and that pay-per-use rates will now apply.
- A third notification tells you that you’re about to reach the overage limit.
Frequently Asked Questions about managing mobile data
Many of Videotron’s Mobile plans include a bonus data bank of 10 GB or 100 GB per year, usable in Canada. This data is used automatically once you’ve reached your monthly basic data limit. Learn more about how bonus data works.