What is Wi-Fi Calling?
Wi-Fi Calling enables you to make calls and text internationally at no charge through a Wi-Fi network. This service is very convenient if you’re travelling or want to contact a loved one abroad and enables you to communicate without using apps like Skype, WhatsApp or Messenger.
Warning : If you’re abroad and need to contact emergency services, use traditional cellular or telephone services. Don’t use Wi-Fi, because emergency services won’t to pinpoint your geographic location.
How to use the Wi-Fi Calling service?
To use the Wi‑Fi Calling service[ln], you must:
- Own a compatible device with the Wi‑Fi Calling service. Verify the device’s compatibility in the list below.
- Have a VoLTE SIM card and a compatible device with the VoLTE feature. Verify if your mobile is compatible with VoLTE.
- Activate the VoLTE feature and the Wi‑Fi Calling option on your mobile.
Good to know
Checking your phone’s compatibility with Wi-Fi Calling
Wi-Fi Calling is available on the following phones:
Galaxy A14 5G
Galaxy A32 5G
Galaxy A5 (2017)
Galaxy A52 5G
Galaxy A53 5G
Galaxy J3 Prime (2017)
Galaxy J3 Top (2018)
Galaxy Note 8
Galaxy Note 9
Galaxy Note 10+
Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Galaxy S7 Edge
Galaxy S20 5G
Galaxy S20 FE
Galaxy S20 FE 5G
Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G
Galaxy S20+ 5G
Galaxy S21 5G
Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G
Galaxy S21+ 5G
Galaxy S21FE 5G
Galaxy S22 +
Galaxy S22 Ultra
Galaxy S23 Ultra
Galaxy XCover6 Pro
Galaxy Z Flip
Galaxy Z Flip 5G
Galaxy Z Flip3 5G
Galaxy Z Flip4
Galaxy Z Fold2
Galaxy Z Fold2 5G
Galaxy Z Fold3 5G
Galaxy Z Fold4
How to enable the Wi-Fi Calling feature
Follow the steps associated with your cell phone model.
Warning : Make sure you have updated your device’s operating system before you enable the Wi-Fi Calling feature. See how to do it.
- Go to Settings and select Phone.
- Select Wi-Fi Calling.
- Enable the feature by sliding the button to green.
If necessary, see more details about Wi-Fi Calling from an iPhone.
- Open the Phone app and tap the three dots in the upper right corner to display more options.
- Select Settings.
- Tap the button next to Wi-Fi Calling to enable the feature.
If necessary, see more details about Wi-Fi Calling from a Samsung phone.
- Go to Settings and select Network and Internet or Mobile Networks.
- Depending on the model, select Mobile Data, Mobile Network, or SIM Card.
- Select Wi-Fi Calling.
- Tap the button at the top to enable or disable the feature.
Note : Depending on your device’s model, the procedure may vary slightly.
How to enter an address for emergency services
Good to know
- In the Wi-Fi Calling settings on your phone, select Update Emergency Address.
- Enter your cell phone number and tap Submit.
- Enter the 4-digit validation code received via text message and tap Submit.
- Select the address you want to change, enter the country, street number, and postal code, then tap Next.
- Select the suggested address if it is correct, or tap Enter manually to change the address and then tap Save.
- Confirm the address by taping Yes, then tap Exit.
Wi-Fi Calling billing
By the minute
When you use Wi-Fi Calling, the minutes included in your Mobile plan count. If your plan does not include unlimited minutes, there will be charges associated with the use of excess minutes. Using Wi-Fi Calling for video calls uses Internet data consumption.
Local and long-distance calls
Wi-Fi Calling and text messaging are included in your plan in the following cases:
- All incoming calls, regardless of the country you’re visiting.
- Outgoing calls to Canada.
- Incoming and outgoing text (SMS), photo and video (MMS) messages (SMS), regardless of the country you’re visiting.
- Outgoing calls to someone in the same country as you, if it is on the list of eligible countries.
- Antigua and Barbuda
- British Virgin Islands
- Cayman Islands
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- El Salvador
- Faroe Islands
- French Guiana
- French Polynesia
- Hong Kong
- Netherlands Antilles
- New Zealand
- Puerto Rico
- Russian Federation
- Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Saint Lucia
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- San Marino
- Saudi Arabia
- Slovak Republic
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Turks and Caicos Islands
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- United States of America
- United States Virgin Islands
- Vatican City State
Long distance call fees apply in the following cases[ln]:
- Outgoing calls to someone in the same country as you for countries not included in the above list.
- Outgoing calls to someone in a different country than you, other than Canada.
- Outgoing calls from Canada to one of the following countries: International long-distance fees on mobile.