Check access to mobile data
APN (Access Point Name) settings are required to enable access to mobile data and multimedia messaging (MMS). These settings are usually set automatically, but with devices that don’t come from Videotron, manual configuration may be required.
To ensure you have access to mobile data and MMS, perform this check:
- After inserting your SIM card, turn your phone off, wait five seconds, then turn it back on.
- Check if your phone indicates that you have a mobile network.
- In the Settings, disable Wi-Fi.
- Launch your web browser and try to log on to a website.
- If the site appears, you have access to mobile data. Otherwise, manually configure the APN settings using the following steps, according to the type of device you have.
Attention : If data is blocked on your device, you can only connect to the Internet from a Wi-Fi network. Learn how to manage your mobile data usage.
Android – Manually configure an APN
Note: Depending on your device’s model, the procedure may vary slightly.
- Go to Settings.
- Select Network and Internet or Connections.
- Select Mobile Networks or SIMs > Videotron, then Access Point Names.
- Touch the three dots at the top right and select New APN (the term may differ from one device to another) or touch Add.
- Complete the fields using these steps:
Next generation mobile data (LTE, 5G, etc.)
APN : media.ng
MMSC : http://media.videotron.com
MCC : 302
MNC : 500
APN type: default, mms, supl
The other fields should be left blank.
For older generation (3G) mobile data, enter media.videotron in the APN field.
iPhone – Update your operator information
Attention : If you don’t have access to your mobile data (i.e., you can’t access the Internet other than over Wi-Fi), resetting the network settings often resolves the issue. If this does not restore your access to mobile data, update your iPhone operator information.
Videotron’s operator information is not always entered by default in Apple devices. Since this information includes the configuration required to access mobile data, this information needs to be updated to activate your iPhone.
The update can only be done via Wi-Fi or iTunes.
- Connect to a Wi-Fi network.
- Go to Settings and select General.
- Select About.
- An update window appears after a delay of 30 seconds to a minute. Select Update.
- Launch iTunes on your computer.
- Connect your iPhone to the computer.
- A notification window for a new operator version appears after a delay of 30 seconds to a minute. Click Download and Update.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.