The CRTC has published a new, mandatory Wireless Code to set certain standards for wireless service providers (WSPs). The Code will requires among other things that data overage charges be capped at:
- $50 on the WSP’s network within a single monthly billing cycle,
- $100 while roaming in the rest of Canada and abroad within a single monthly billing cycle
Monitor your data usage
Videotron offers you several ways to monitor your data usage. You’ll receive three kinds of text messages to keep you updated on how much data you’ve used:
- The first text message tells you that you’re about to reach the data allowance included in your monthly plan
- The second tells you that you’ve exceeded your allowance and that pay-per-use rates will now apply
- The third informs you that you’re about to reach the cap set for data overage charges:
- You’ll be sent a text message when you’ve accumulated $40 in overage charges on the Videotron or partner network: you’ll still have $10 of data use left before you reach the cap.
- You’ll also get a text once you’ve accumulated $80 in data roaming charges in the rest of Canada and abroad: you’ll still have $20 of data use left before you reach the cap.
- You can check your mobile data use in near-real time via our Customer Centre.
Haven’t set up a Customer Centre account yet? Sign up now!
Data overage caps
There are two different kinds of data overage caps:
- $50 cap: for data overage on the Videotron and partner network
- $100 cap: for data usage while roaming in the rest of Canada and abroad
The data overage charges that are applied to you are calculated on a pay-per-use basis, after you’ve exceeded the data allowance included in your monthly plan and add-ons
Opt out of the caps
First, it is important to know that you have flexibility when it comes to opting out of these caps: you can opt out of just one, or both, depending on your needs. Once you’ve opted out of a cap, you’ll be able to exceed your data allowance without limit and you’ll be charged for any overage on a per-use basis. To help you better manage your data use, Videotron will send you a text alert:
- when you reach $40 in data overage charges on the Videotron or partner network,
- when you reach $80 in data usage while roaming in the rest of Canada and abroad.