Instructions for a successful Internet speed test
- Plug your computer directly into the Helix Fi gateway or cable modem. It is necessary to reinitialize the modem (press the Reset button) whenever you change the device connected to it.
- Verify that your computer is not running other tasks. It is important to shut down all applications, navigation windows and tabs. Only the speed test window must be open. Open Task Manager (in Windows), click on the Application tab and then close all the applications.
- Check that only the speed test uses your Internet connection. Open Task Manager (in Windows) and click on the Networking tab to check that the Local Area Connection graph is at zero.
All trademarks of Ookla, LLC, including Speedtest®, are used under license.
This page is displayed in your browser’s default language.
Warning: Using your mobile device to perform a speed test in 3G/LTE mode can generate a usage of up to 350 MB billed towards your monthly usage cap.
Several peripheral devices are connected at the same time
An Internet speed test measures the speed of the device being used for the test, and not the speed provided to your home through the Helix Fi gateway or modem.
Think of it like a road network: your home is connected to the Internet by a highway—the speed of the plan you chose with Videotron—which splits up into several lanes going to each of your devices.
Videotron’s speed test measures the speed of a single lane, or, in other words, the speed that is going to a single device and not that of the highway or the overall speed going to your home. That’s why the measured speed is often lower than the one specified in your plan.
Videotron plans are designed to simultaneously satisfy the needs of many bandwidth-hungry peripheral devices and the bandwidth that is too important to manage by a single device.
A coverage issue causes a drop in power
If your Internet speed test result shows that it’s lower than the Wi-Fi speed you expected from your device, it could mean that there is a coverage issue. Bring your device closer to the Helix Fi gateway or router and run the test again to see if the speed increases. If it doesn’t, try to optimize your Wi-Fi connection.
Your equipment or installation is making the connection flow slower
The following factors can affect your speed test results.
- The location of the Helix Fi gateway or router: The distance and the obstacles between the device being tested and the Helix Fi gateway or router can have a significant impact on the Wi-Fi network.
- The number of devices connected: If too many users are connected at the same time, it may slow down your Home Network.
- How old your devices are: New devices perform better than old ones. The technology, namely the type of processor, the motherboard, the hard drive and the RAM, significantly affects your device’s speed.
- Your device’s setup and capability: If you run a speed test from a device with a lower speed capability than your plan, the results will be limited to the device’s approximate speed.
- Type and version of browser: Make sure your Internet browsers are up to date.
- Background apps and processes: Things like backups, updates, games, antiviruses and firewalls can all slow the speed down.
- Using a private virtual network (VPN): The speed tested will be limited to that of the VPN.
- As to your operating system, its performance can vary depending on the version you’re running and if it’s up to date.
The website you visit slows down network performance
Some slowdowns may be caused by the website being used to run the speed test, depending on:
- The speed of the website
- The amount of traffic on one website at the same time (not necessarily from your home)
FAQ about Internet speed test
Your connection speed may be reduced by your use of certain websites. In case of heavy visitation of a given site, it is possible that access is saturated. This will slow down your connection.
Using file sharing software also affects your speed. Peer-to-peer or P2P applications use a high transfer capacity. It is preferable to verify that the icons of these programs are not on your toolbar