What is RCS messaging?
RCS stands for Rich Communication Services, a standard international protocol used in the telecommunications industry to improve SMS/MMS messaging.
RCS inspired by popular instant messaging apps, is easy to use and provides a rich multimedia experience using many chat features that weren’t available with traditional text messaging.
- Private and group conversations
- Delivery and read receipts
- File sharing, high-resolution pictures and videos
- Audio and video message sharing
- Location sharing
Bon à savoir
Chat features are only available through the Internet (mobile data or Wi-Fi). Make sure you have a data plan or a Wi-Fi connection to avoid additional fees.
How to access RCS messaging?
To use RCS, you need to have:
- A Mobile plan including text messaging and access to mobile data or Wi-Fi
- A compatible mobile device on Android version 5.0 or higher
- An updated Google Messages application
Enabling or disabling the chat feature
- Open the Messages app.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Chat Features.
- Tap Enable chat features on or off.
Chat features are used by default once enabled. You’ll be able to use these features by having conversations with other devices who also have it enabled.
Bon à savoir
RCS features work with most mobile providers in Canada, the United States, Mexico, England and France.
How to report a problem or comment on the service?
You can report a problem or comment on the service using the corresponding form in the Google Messages app.
- Access the Menu.
- Tap on Help and Comments.
- Tap on Send Comments.
Your comments are sent to Google and the information may be read without Google contacting you directly. Find more information and support on chat features on Google Messages Support.