How do I use your mobile phone safely?
Certain actions performed on your mobile phone can compromise your own security as well as that of others. To help reduce this risk, pay attention to certain things.
Take care of the security of your data and your device
- Download apps from reliable sources.
- Ensure the performance of your device by not jailbreaking its operating system.
- Protect your device from a potential virus by installing an anti-virus.
Look after the safety of others on the road
- If you are behind the wheel, use the hands-free phone to converse while keeping your attention on the road.
- If you have to answer a call or text message, do not hesitate to use all the features of your device such as speakerphone or voice command.
- If your situation does not allow you to answer the phone, let your voicemail take the messages for you.
Good to know
If you are busy driving, don't put yourself in danger. Stop in a safe place to dial a number or send a text message, or ask your passenger to do so if you are accompanied.
What are the tips to use your mobile phone without disturbing people around you?
To avoid inconvenience or embarrassment when using your mobile phone, always adapt to the location:
- Turn off your device when asked or activate the airplane/flight mode, which disables the antenna (in a plane or a hospital). In this way, you are not disturbing anyone and you are still able to use other features of your phone.
- Turn off your phone’s ringtone in places that require silence: in movie theatres and theatres, but also in libraries, etc.
- Make your device’s features work for you by using the call display and silent or vibrate mode to filter and forward calls to your voicemail.
- Opt for a text message when you absolutely have to reach someone and a phone call is inappropriate. The person will receive your message instantaneously and can answer or call back when the time is right.
- Control the ringtone volume of your mobile phone to suit where you are.
Good to know
In general, be respectful. Besides lowering or turning off the ringtone volume in public places, you can try to speak more softly if you really need to make a call, or choose a quiet spot for your discussion. Silence is golden!