Procedure to follow in the event of phone loss or theft
Follow this procedure once you notice your phone has been lost or stolen:
- If your device has been stolen, first notify the local police. You will need to provide them with the brand name, model, serial number and IMEI number.
- Call Customer Service to notify us of the loss or theft of your device. Videotron will register your device on the national blacklist of stolen or lost wireless devices so that it can be blocked.
Note that you are responsible for all costs related to the use of your device as well as monthly subscription fees up until you report it as missing to Videotron. Terms, conditions and fees relating to your current device will remain in effect.
Good to know
In agreement with the Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association (CWTA), Videotron uses and helps maintain a national blacklist of wireless devices reported lost or stolen for its customers in order to help reduce the number of mobile device thefts. Use of the devices on this list is blocked on the networks of Canadian wireless service providers participating in the initiative.
I bought a new phone, how do I check if it is a lost or stolen device?
Upon purchasing a wireless device from a private source, you can consult the national blacklist to check whether the device has been reported as lost or stolen. Go to the CWTA website, where you will find an online tool allowing you to search by entering the device’s IMEI number. If the device has been blacklisted, you will not be able to use it with any participating Canadian wireless service provider.
How can I protect my mobile phone privacy?
To prevent your personal information (contacts, bank details, photos, videos, etc.) from being divulged because of a lost or theft of your phone, remember to protect your device:
- Make sure you set a password or lock code for your device.
- Configure your phone’s settings so that the screen locks after a short period of inactivity.
- If you have a smartphone, install an application that let you monitor and delete personal information remotely.
- For more ways to protect your personnal data on your device, visit the CWTA’s website.