What is Wi-Fi Calling?
Wi-Fi Calling enables you to make calls and text using a Wi-Fi network. A great way to overcome mobile signal reception problems or to minimize roaming charges abroad. This service enables you to communicate without using apps like Skype, WhatsApp or Messenger.
Warning: In case of emergency, use traditional cellular or telephone services. If you use the Wi-Fi Calling service when you are out, make sure the address registered in your device is up to date as emergency services will use this address to determine your location.
How to use the Wi-Fi Calling service
To use the Wi‑Fi Calling service¹, you must:
Good to know
Checking your phone’s compatibility with Wi-Fi Calling
Wi-Fi Calling is available on the following phones:
40 XE 5G
How to enable the Wi-Fi Calling feature
Follow the steps associated with your cell phone model.
Attention : Make sure you have updated your device’s operating system before you enable the Wi-Fi Calling feature. See how to do it.
- Go to Settings and select Phone.
- Select Wi-Fi Calling.
- Enable the feature by sliding the button to green.
If necessary, see more details about Wi-Fi Calling from an iPhone.
- Open the Phone app and tap the three dots in the upper right corner to display more options.
- Select Settings.
- Tap the button next to Wi-Fi Calling to enable the feature.
If necessary, see more details about Wi-Fi Calling from a Samsung phone.
- Go to Settings and select Network and Internet or Mobile Networks.
- Depending on the model, select Mobile Data, Mobile Network, or SIM Card.
- Select Wi-Fi Calling.
- Tap the button at the top to enable or disable the feature.
Note : Depending on your device’s model, the procedure may vary slightly.
How to enter an address for emergency services
Good to know
- In the Wi-Fi Calling settings on your phone, select Update Emergency Address.
- Enter your cell phone number and tap Submit.
- Enter the 4-digit validation code received via text message and tap Submit.
- Select the address you want to change, enter the country, street number, and postal code, then tap Next.
- Select the suggested address if it is correct, or tap Enter manually to change the address and then tap Save.
- Confirm the address by taping Yes, then tap Exit.
Wi-Fi Calling billing
By the minute
When you use Wi-Fi Calling, the minutes included in your Mobile plan count. If your plan does not include unlimited minutes, there will be charges associated with the use of excess minutes. Using Wi-Fi Calling for video calls uses Internet data consumption.
Local and long-distance calls
Wi-Fi Calling and text messaging are included in your plan in the following cases:
- All incoming calls, regardless of the country you’re visiting.
- Outgoing calls to Canada.
- Incoming and outgoing text (SMS), photo and video (MMS) messages (SMS), regardless of the country you’re visiting.
- Outgoing calls to someone in the same country as you, if it is on the list of eligible countries.
- Antigua and Barbuda
- British Virgin Islands
- Cayman Islands
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
- El Salvador
- Faroe Islands
- French Guiana
- French Polynesia
- Hong Kong
- Netherlands Antilles
- New Zealand
- Puerto Rico
- Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Saint Lucia
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- San Marino
- Saudi Arabia
- Slovak Republic
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- South Korea
- Trinidad and Tobago
- Turks and Caicos Islands
- United Arab Emirates
- United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- United States of America
- United States Virgin Islands
- Vatican City State
Long distance call fees apply in the following cases²:
- Outgoing calls to someone in the same country as you for countries not included in the above list.
- Outgoing calls to someone in a different country than you, other than Canada.
- Outgoing calls from Canada to one of the following countries: International long-distance fees on mobile.
2 If you have a mobile plan limited to Quebec, long-distance charges will apply for an outbound call outside of Quebec.