What is video description?
Video description is an audible description of the show’s key visual elements, such as gestures, facial expressions, costumes or scene transitions. This TV description enables blind or visually impaired persons to get information they would have otherwise missed.
You can easily access this feature on your television, computer or mobile device, whether you’re watching direct TV, a recording or on-demand content.
Warning: Broadcasters determine which content features video description.
How to enable or disable video description on the Helix TV terminal?
While watching a program, you can enable or disable video description by voice command, on the video control panel, or in the Accessibility Settings.
With the Voice control remote
- Hold down the on the Voice remote and say “Video description.”
While watching a program
- Press or the middle button on the Voice remote to display the video control panel.
- Select the Video Description icon and press the middle button to enable or disable it.
In the Accessibility Settings
- Select Video Description, then press the middle button to enable or disable it.
- Press to go back to watching your show. If the show has an audio description track, you should now hear it.
Good to know
Note that there will be no video description during commercials or scenes with dialogue with little action.
How to find content with video description?
You can easily find shows and movies with video description by browsing the TV Listings. Shows with video description have the logo. If voice guidance is enabled, it indicates that video description is available, if applicable, when viewing information on a show.
Good to know
The video description logo is often displayed at the beginning of a show.