What is described video?
Described video description is an audible description of the show’s key visual elements, such as gestures, facial expressions, costumes or scene transitions. This TV description enables blind or visually impaired persons to get information they would have otherwise missed.
You can easily access this feature on your television, computer or mobile device, whether you’re watching direct TV, a recording or on-demand content.
Warning: Broadcasters determine which content features described video.
How to enable or disable described video on the Helix TV terminal?
While watching a program, you can enable or disable described video by voice command, on the video control panel, or in the Accessibility Settings.
With the voice control remote
- Hold down the on the Voice remote and say “Described video.”
While watching a program
- Press or the middle button on the Voice remote to display the video control panel.
- Select the described video icon and press the middle button to enable or disable it.
In the Accessibility Settings
- Select described video, then press the middle button to enable or disable it.
- Press to go back to watching your show. If the show has an audio description track, you should now hear it.
Good to know
Note that there will be no described video during commercials or scenes with dialogue with little action.
How to find content with described video?
You can easily find shows and movies with described video by browsing the TV Listings. Shows with described video have the logo
. If voice guidance is enabled, it indicates that described video is available, if applicable, when viewing information on a show.
Good to know
The video description logo is often displayed at the beginning of a show.