Your computers and mobile devices are already protected by an antivirus? That's great, but it’s also important to protect your other Internet-connected devices (smart objects such as light bulbs, thermostats, plugs, and cameras, for example). Advanced Security, included in all Helix Internet plans, provides this type of protection. All you have to do is enable it from the Helix Fi app!
Activate the Advanced Security feature
- In the Helix Fi app Overview section, tap Secure your network.
- Follow the instructions.
How does Advanced Security protect you?
Advanced Security provides protection against malicious sites, monitors your device activity in real time, alerts you of suspicious activity that could compromise your network, and enables you to remotely suspend Internet access to unknown devices.
When a threat is intercepted by Advanced Security, it is automatically blocked and a notification is sent to you (if the feature is enabled). Details are then added to the Advanced Security dashboard in the Connection section of the Helix Fi app.
Real-life example of protection
If a hacker manages to use your Wi-Fi-connected security camera to access your personal data, such as the video stream itself, Advanced Security will detect the abnormal activity of the camera, pause its Wi-Fi access, and notify you.
Important: The Advanced Security feature does not replace anti-virus software.
What threats are controlled by Advanced Security?
The Advanced Security feature addresses five types of threats:
- Visiting a suspicious site: A device connected to your network visits a potentially dangerous website that may contain malware or spyware, for example.
- Unauthorized access: An external device attempts to access devices connected to your network.
- IP address reputation: An external device from a known malevolent source attempts to access devices connected to your network.
- Targeted network attack: A device connected to your network was compromised and infected with a virus or malware.
- Suspicious activity: A device deviates from its normal behaviour. For example, it communicates with an IP address that it doesn’t normally interact with.
Good to know
When a threat is detected, the Advanced Security feature automatically blocks it and sends you a notification to inform you and provide you with tips on how to correct the situation.
- Access the Account section via the icon at the top left of the Overview screen.
- In the Notifications section, click on Notification Preferences.
- Select the types of notifications you would like to receive.
A dashboard to group the alerts
The Advanced Security dashboard is available in the Helix Fi application’s Connection section. It gives you a detailed description of the threats detected on your devices over the previous 14 days and tells you whether you need to act or not.
Frequently asked questions about Advanced Security
In the case of a threat of unauthorized access, you have the option of granting remote access to people or devices you trust.
- Open the Helix Fi application’s Connection section and select the device concerned.
- Access the device’s threat history and manage the access you wish to allow.
- The device in question
- The port selected using a specific IP address
- A 30-day period