What is the Helix Fi Parental Control?
How your children use the Internet may be cause for concern. Thankfully, the Helix Fi App’s Parental Control feature enables you to restrict access to age-inappropriate or potentially explicit content on websites or on the Google and YouTube apps.
When you set up Parental Control on your Wi-Fi network, the following settings are enabled on your children’s profiles:
- Google SafeSearch: On
- Bing SafeSearch: Strict
- YouTube Restricted Mode: On
Using a virtual private network (VPN) feature like Apple’s iCloud Private Relay can compromise Parental Control. Since traffic is encrypted directly at the device level, the Helix Fi gateway can no longer recognize and block web pages and searches containing age-inappropriate content. We recommend that you disable iCloud Private Relay to allow you to best control your family’s digital activity.
Enabling Parental Control in the Helix Fi App
- Create a profile for your child and assign his devices to it.
- In the People section, select your child’s profile.
- In the profile, tap the icon in the upper right corner.
- Under Activity Settings, select Parental Controls.
- Select Turn On to ensure that devices in this profile only have access to content deemed appropriate for all ages.
- You will see a message confirming activation. Press Close.
Important : Parental Control only restricts access if the devices are connected to your home Wi-Fi network. Content is blocked fairly rapidly once Parental Control is enabled. However, content that was previously accessed on a device may be cached and remain accessible for 24 hours.
Good to know
As a Parental Control’s advanced feature of your Helix Fi app, the Active Time Details allows you to control the Internet usage of selected profiles by providing an overview of your family members’ daily activity.