What does porting your number mean?
Porting enables you to change your mobile service provider while keeping your current phone number.
Some fraudsters take advantage of the porting process to steal your phone number and get a hold of some of your personal information.
Porting procedure from another service provider to Videotron
When porting your phone number from a given service provider to Videotron, an additional security check is required to confirm the transfer.
Here’s the security procedure:
- You subscribe to a Videotron Mobile plan and say that you want to keep your current phone number.
- Videotron requests the number transfer from your old provider.
- Your old provider then sends you a number transfer confirmation request by text.
- You have until the day and time mentioned in the request to confirm that you’ve made the transfer request.
- Once the port request is confirmed, the line will be ready for activation on the transferred number.
Good to know
Before you start the process, check that your contact information (phone number and email) at your old provider is up to date to make sure you receive the transfer confirmation request.
Procedure for porting from Videotron to a new service provider
When porting your phone number from Videotron to a new service provider, an additional security check is required to confirm the transfer.
The security procedure is as follows:
- You subscribe to a given service provider’s mobile plan and say that you want to keep your current phone number.
- This new provider sends a number transfer request to Videotron.
- Videotron then sends you a number transfer confirmation request by text.
- You have until the day and time mentioned in the request to respond YES or NO to the transfer request.
- If you answer is YES, confirming the porting request, Videotron will send you a receipt confirmation, and the line will be ready for activation on the transferred number.
- If you answer NO, Videotron will invite you to contact your new provider for more information.
Good to know
Before you start the process, check that your contact information (telephone number and email address) at Videotron is up to date to ensure you receive the transfer confirmation request.
FAQ about porting
Some mobile service providers choose this additional security check to help avoid fraudulent number transfers. For more information, can contact one of our representatives or check out the discussion threads on the Videotron Community.
If you’re unable to receive messages on your device (for example, if it’s been damaged, lost or stolen), call your former provider or visit a store for assistance on approving your number’s transfer.
Ensure your contact information is up to date with your former provider by contacting them of logging in to your online account. Contact our Customer Service department to send a new phone number transfer request.
You need to act quickly and confirm the transfer before the day and time mentioned in the request.
Once this deadline expires, you can request a phone number transfer again by contacting our Customer Service.
If you accepted a porting request in error, contact our Customer Service as soon as possible to stop the transfer process.
If it’s a phone number error, the request will be restarted with the correct number.