How to manage my Residential Internet and Television services when I move
If you are moving, follow all the moving-related steps to keep your services. As soon as you have your new address, contact our Customer Service.
Are you planning on moving during the peak months of May, June or July? We would recommend contacting us 30 to 45 days before your desired connection date.
Good to know
Given the pandemic, there are now several ways in which our technicians can assist you. For more information, see our Policies and Prevention Measures.
How to disconnect my equipment if I am switching to Helix
If you are taking the opportunity to switch to Helix when you move, you will have to change your equipment:
- The Helix Fi gateway replaces your modem and Wi-Fi router
- The Helix TV terminal replaces the illico terminal
You will have to disconnect your equipment when you leave your old home, and you will receive new Helix equipment when you are in your new home.
- If you choose the quick and easy self-installation of your Helix equipment at your new home, return your old rented equipment to one of our stores. See what equipment to return according to your situation.
- If you have your Helix equipment installed by a technician, keep your old equipment and take it to your new home. The technician will take back the rented equipment after the installation.
- Either way, if you have old equipment that belongs to you, you can sell it, give it away or recycle it, as you wish.
What happens to my TV channels after I move?
All the channels available with illico are also available with Helix. So after you have moved, you will have the same channels, provided they are part of the new Helix TV plan you select. You can modify your channels or select new ones à la carte. To do so, simply log in to My Account.
Note that some channels may vary by region. To check which channels are available, refer to the channel listings.
What happens to my recordings after I move?
Note that illico recordings and settings cannot be transferred to Helix. To reschedule your daily recordings after you have moved, simply use the voice command, say the name of the show you want to record and select Record in the menu that opens.
Find more information about the Helix installation.
How to disconnect my equipment when I keep the same services
If you are keeping the same Internet and Television services when you move, make sure you disconnect all your equipment and bring it to your new home: Internet modem, illico TV or DTA terminal, router and Wi-Fi amplifier, if applicable.
How to disconnect my equipment before moving
- Unplug device’s power cable.
- Unscrew the coaxial cable from the device. If you can’t unscrew it due to a safety sleeve, cut the coaxial cable about 4” from the safety socket (the modem will continue to blink: this is normal).
- Disconnect all other cables: HDMI, Ethernet, audio, etc.
- Put all hardware in a box (cables, equipment, accessories such as remote controls).
Watch our video to follow the steps to disconnect the modem.
Good to know
While waiting for your Internet service to be installed, you’ll still have access to your emails are on our Webmail service.